Picture
This is National Library Week. Can you put your hands on your library card? Through the years mine has changed considerably. To apply for my first library card in California, I was required to bring in an envelope mailed to my current address, and allowed to check out two books. A week later I received a card for my wallet that became dog-eared long before a new one was issued.

Now everything is checked out electronically. My latest library card looks like a credit card. Works like one, too. I can even renew the books I check out by phone, but do I use my card as often as I use my credit card? No, not nearly often enough, however every time I step back into the library I'm amazed at the offerings I find there. I had no idea our branch library four block away hosted a monthly book club, eliminating the need to drive to Barnes and Noble for their's.

Like carrying a membership card for the fitness club or AAA, when I walk into the library I have a sense of belonging. I'm familiar with my surroundings, even if I've never been in that particular building before. I enjoy a sense of fellowship, and suspense. No telling what I'll find beneath the covers of the first book I remove from the shelf.

And the best part? I never lose the sense of wonder. All that knowledge at my fingertips. I race down the rows of shelves, fearful some other patron will beat me to the latest Nicholas Sparks release or video. Too busy to read? Check out a talking book for those forty-five minute commutes to work.

Why not put a visit to the local library on your shopping list this week. You're bound to find something there that interests you. Maybe an armful, like me.

This is your new blog post. Click here and start typing, or drag in elements from the top bar.

Comments

04/09/2012 11:46

Mine is in my wallet - never leave home without it! I'm a library nut too and volunteer at my local one every week. I can renew books online too which is a bonus, ask for books from other branches and get on waiting lists for new books. I could never afford my reading habit with the library!

04/09/2012 11:54

Angela, you're a reading fan after my own heart, Angela. Thanks for dropping by. Isn't it nice my library honored eBook authors, too?

Toni

04/09/2012 11:53

Like you, I like libraries too and I don't go there near enough. There's a library of month book that is done on www.canyonlandpress.com and some interesting books come through. Thanks for blog on libraries.

04/09/2012 11:57

Thanks for the information on Canyonland press, Judy. I'll have to look that up. Keep reading.

Toni

04/09/2012 21:22

Toni, I remember when I was a young girl, my library card was strong paper with a metal clip in it that had my number. They used to pull the tab out of the back of the book and slide into their metal clip stamper (gosh, I have no idea what they would call it! *blushes*) and nowadays it looks like a credit card and it can do really cool things. I loved the library as a little girl and I hope to pass that love onto my boys.

Smiles
Steph

04/11/2012 15:40

Hi, Stephanie,

I'm sure you read to your little boys and they have already learned a love of books from their mom.

Toni

04/10/2012 06:20

My library card is always in my wallet. PS. my latest technology success was downloading an ebook from the library to my Kindle. Hurray!

04/11/2012 15:42

Good for you, Terry. I've set up my library account for downloading, but am yet to do so. My publisher keeps releasing such great sounding titles I have to purchase those.

Toni

Mary Galusha
04/10/2012 10:49

My library card is always in my wallet now. It's good at the county as well as San Diego City libraries. I have a separate one for Escondido. I love the fact you can borrow books and have them go onto the Kindle.

04/11/2012 15:44

Isn't modern technology great, Mary? We're always being offered new opportunities to excel. You go, girl.

Toni